Check out the latest happenings around the music world…
- Music legend Prince is getting his well-deserved recognition from the good folks at Billboard by receiving their Icon Award at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards on May 19. Ahead of the annual event, the seven-time Grammy winner covers the industry magazine in all his glory, while discussing his upcoming tour, new music (“Screwdriver“) and ownership. Read an excerpt of the interview here…
- What does Aretha Franklin make of Beyonce‘s alleged inauguration lip-sync? Well… “When I heard the news this evening that she was pre-recorded I really laughed,” she said in an interview with ABC News. “I thought it was funny because the weather down there was about 46 or 44 degrees and for most singers that is just not good singing weather. When I heard that I just really cracked up. I thought it was really funny, but she did a beautiful job with the pre-record […] next time I’ll probably do the same.” No comment.
- The boy bands are back. Boyz II Men, New Kids on the Block and 98 Degrees are hitting the road this summer for a trip down ’80s/’90s memory lane. The 28-city tour will make stops in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles and more before wrapping up in Minneapolis, MN on July 13. Get your homemade t-shirts ready!
- Justin Timberlake‘s return to music is already breaking records. According to Billboard, the singer’s newest single “Suit & Tie” featuring Jay-Z is now the song with the highest first-week plays total in the chart’s 20-year history. The well-dressed tune is the lead single from Timberlake’s forthcoming project, The 20/20 Experience– his first album since 2006′s FutureSex/LoveSounds.
- Adele will hit the stage at the 85th annual Academy Awards to perform her Oscar-nominated hit “Skyfall,” featured in the blockbuster James Bond film of the same name. “It’s an honour to be nominated and terrifyingly wonderful to be singing in front of people who have captured my imagination over and over again,” the 24-year-old singer said in a statement. “It’s something I’ve never experienced and probably only ever will once!” The Academy Awards will air live Sunday, Feb. 24 at 7 p.m. ET on ABC.
- And finally, TLC singer T-Boz has gifted fans with her new single “Champion.” You like?